Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sneak Peek into Something New

I started on this bag as soon as my children went back to school last Monday. And boy, was I overeager to finish it. I know I shouldn't have been...the more I rushed, the more I made mistakes. I had to unpick time and again because I wanted my stitching perfect. Halfway through sewing, I had doubts I could even successfully complete this. Now that it's done, I can't really claim it's perfect but I am quite pleased and more so, relieved. I took pictures along the way with the intention of making another tutorial soon. It's quite a long, tiring process so I am really having second thoughts...unless I get very good feedback. I do need some encouragement and inspiration, you know.

This backpack design combines several aspects of backpacks I've seen in online tutorials and bag-making books. I call it the City Backpack. It is a small-sized backpack, approximate size being 11 3/4" (H) x 10"(W) x 5"(D). Something you can take to trips to the city, to the park or to go shopping with. Appropriate for a child as well. Oh yes, it is small, but even I was surprised to find how roomy it actually is inside when it is fully open.

I reinforced the bottom with template plastic. First time I tried this. The back straps are adjustable. Again, my first time. The outer fabric and lining are both lined with fusible woven interfacing. I've been using non-woven ever since, so this is another first. Yeah, the bag holds a pretty good shape and can stand on its own. It closes with a flap with a magnetic snap and the upper bag edge has a drawstring. I did not want a patch pocket on the front so I came up with some sort of slip pocket. The way I did that sprung entirely from my imagination...

On with the photos...hope you like it!

Front view
Side view
Flap open, Drawstring and magnetic snap closure

Inside view
Inside again, this time with some stuff
Would love to hear what you all have to say...


6 comments:

  1. Hi Corinne,
    I just found your blog today and am thrilled that you have some bag tutorials. I am a huge fan of tutorials. I look forward to having a go at both your messenger bag and the backpack (once my other commitments are done with).
    I hope you are enjoying the first days of Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Corinne,
    I was looking for a pattern for a messenger bag and found yours. It is a terrific tutorial. I have completed the outer shell, and will do the lining tomorrow. I LOVE IT. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Corinne
    I am thankful for you share these tutorials. You are so lovely.
    Hugs from Brazil.
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Corinne,
    I came across your blog, and this particular post when searching for the perfect feminine backpack.

    All I have seen so far are bulky bags that are clearly made for campers and such, I was looking for something I could wear to shop or take to the park on holiday. This bag is perfect and even though I do love to hand make some of my clothes, I just don't have time before my holiday!

    I would love to buy the bag in the pictures if you are selling? Please let me know, my email is georgiasavage@live.co.uk

    Thank you and your blog is so pretty!
    Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Corinne!
    This is such a beautiful pattern. Thank you so much for posting it, it is exactly what I've been looking for :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just got home from a family trip and after having left my purse locked in the car I pledged to make a back pack for next time. Yours is the best I have seen!

    ReplyDelete